The value of course blogs

For the fourth semester I am teaching a course with a blog where students must write weekly on the blog about what they are learning. They also must write some comments on other student posts.

I think this is a very valuable experience for the students and for me. It keeps them engaged and forces them to think about what they are learning. I find it very valuable to read their posts because it gives me a good measure of their level of understanding and what topics or concepts they are struggling with. I am usually struck by how much they still need to learn and understand, and how things that seem obvious to me are not to them. It is a good reminder how about 25 years ago I struggled to master the subject too. I need to slow down my teaching and explain everything carefully. You can check out the blog here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it an Unidentified Superconducting Object (USO)?

What is Herzberg-Teller coupling?

What should be the order of authors on a conference poster or talk?